Sunday 15 February 2009

joe raposo tribute album, 75 minute set, gigs

i spent last week finishing up a track for a Joe Raposo tribute album..

"Joseph Guilherme Raposo Jr., OIH (February 8, 1937 – February 5, 1989) was a Portuguese-American composer, songwriter, pianist, television writer and lyricist, best known for his work on the children's television series Sesame Street, for which he wrote the theme song, as well as classic songs such as "Bein' Green" and "C is for Cookie". He also wrote music for television shows such as The Electric Company, Shining Time Station and the sitcom Three's Company, including its theme song. In addition to these works, Raposo also composed extensively for the Dr. Seuss productions Halloween Is Grinch Night, Pontoffel Pock, Where Are You? and The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat."

I chose the song "Look Around" from sesame street to cover and had a great time recording it. It's pretty different to the original yet I think it still preserves the spirit.

Other act's confirmed for the album include Louis Phillipe, The Heavy Blinkers, The Simple Carnival, The Green Fields and many others still being announced. Click here to keep an eye on progress. I'm very happy and honoured to be involved.

...................

Full band rehearsals for our 75 minute set at club quattro in tokyo (march 9th) start next week. I struggle to remember words to songs in a 6 song set let alone an 18 song set. It's mental. I might record myself reading the lyrics out and put them on my ipod.. like a 'learn to speak italian' tape.. or 'Harry Potter and the vampires earlobe' narrated by Stephen Fry. i could just listen to the songs. i haven't thought this through.

...................

There are a few other one-off shows I'll be playing in march either solo or full band. We're hoping to play the 'April & I' animated film at one or a couple of these. Will let you know as they get confirmed.

Right now I'm gonna watch the Milan derby and get an early night. Hoping to do some touristy London bits between meetings tomorrow. Will try and take some photos of me having an OK time on my lonesome.

Have a nice week.
Love
P
x

No comments:

Post a Comment